Tuesday 22 September 2015

Craft with my boys - twig heart




Whenever Billy is having an 'off' day I always feel guilty that Jo didn't get out of the house much (if at all), so I'm always on the look out for things that we can do together. I saw a twig heart for sale online one evening and decided that it would be great fun to try and make one with the boys on one of our 'stuck in the house days'. Over the summer we started clearing our very overgrown garden so we have lots of twigs left where there were some trees, and I knew that I still had lots of different coloured garden wire left that belonged to my Grandad. I made the frame one evening, Jo and I then collected the twigs the next day and weaved them into the frame whilst Billy watched and told us where he thought each one should go.  Here is our step by step guide...

You will need

  • Garden wire (available from Garden Centre's or even supermarkets during summer)
  • Wire cutters
  • Twigs
  • String 
  • Ribbon (Ribbons from packets or clothes loops are always handy to keep)
  • Elastic band 


How to make it

1. Decide roughly how big you want the heart to be and cut your wire accordingly.
2. Using half of the length of the wire mould the it into a heart shape. Don't cut off the excess wire.
3. Using the rest of the wire make loops around the heart outline. (See step 3 photo.)
4. Collect twigs, wash them and leave them to dry.
5. Weave the twigs into the frame using and elastic band to hold them in place at the top.
6. Wrap the string around the heart hiding any wire and elastic band that is showing through.
7. Tie the ribbon to the top of the heart making a loop so that it can be hung up.

Step 2

Step 3


Steps 5 and 6
Step 7 

No comments:

Post a Comment