Wednesday 25 November 2015

Dear Professional With Years Of Experience

Dear Professional With Years of Experience,

You have lost me with your first sentence.  The moment that you felt the need to start our conversation by listing off all of the brilliant things you have done within the years that you have worked with 'children like this' was also the moment that my heart sunk and I thought 'here we go again.' I get why you do it. Embarrassingly I have probably done it too. You are faced with parents that want answers verses budget cuts and deadlines.  Decisions are in your hands, the futre of 'children like this' depends on the decisions you make so you start by reinforcing who you are and what you've done.  I understated that it is your job to make the decisions that need to be made for 'children like this', I respect the years of dedication that have given you experience,  and I admire the enthusiasm and determination that have kept you in the role that requires you to make these decisions.  The problem is, even 'children like this' differ. I only have four years of experience with my child like this, but he has taught me far more about the things he struggles with than years of reading theories, carrying out independent studies and practical work with children just like him. This is why we need to work together.   This is why my opinion matters.

I hope that in years to come, when I'm back to your side of the desk, someone will remimd me of this. I hope that in years to come I will start my sentances by reassuring parents that I will try my hardest to find the best solution for their child using our joint knowledge and experiences.

Yours Faithfully,
A mother who wants the best for her child.



No comments:

Post a Comment